Head of Food Preparation & Nutrition: Mrs S Gibson, BSc Bath
This is an exciting qualification that is relevant to the world of food today. This course aims to equip you with the knowledge, understanding and skills required to cook and apply the principles of food science, nutrition and healthy eating. The course will encourage you to make informed decisions about a wide range of further learning opportunities and career pathways, as well as develop life skills that enable you to feed yourself and others affordably, now and in later life.
You will acquire knowledge and understanding in the following areas:
• Food preparation skills: preparing, cooking and presenting high quality meals.
• Food Science: investigating and applying the scientific principles involved in the preparation of foods, as well as understanding the functions of ingredients.
• Nutrition and food choices: understanding detailed principles of nutrition and healthy eating.
• Food safety: understanding food hygiene and safety techniques when preparing food.
• Food provenance: learning about where our food comes from and the challenges that we face globally to supply the world with nutritious and safe food.